2019 CANDIDATES and STATEMENTS
President of NEA-New Mexico and delegate to the NEA Representative Assembly, three-year term commencing July 15, 2019.
Laura Vazquez, Belen
As your next NEA-NM President, I’ll ensure more equitable distribution of opportunities for member involvement, utilize the incredible expertise we have within our state, and work for a more positive relationship with AFT. I hope you will join me in making our NEA the best for ALL of us.
Ben Steiner, Rio Rancho
I’m Ben Steiner, a fourth grade teacher and president in Rio Rancho. I’m asking for your vote, and your trust. As NEA-NM President, I will work relentlessly to reclaim our public schools for students, educators and communities! And I’ll do it by empowering you! United, we can achieve enduring progress!
Mary K. Parr-Sanchez, Las Cruces
Our journey to strengthen our association and rebuild our state education system will not be easy, but I believe in us. The stakes are too high right now to trust NEA-NM to anyone who doesn’t have a long and proven track record. Let’s create the organization that our members deserve!
Vice President of NEA-New Mexico and delegate to the NEA Representative Assembly, three-year term commencing July 15, 2019.
Bethany Jarrell, Alamogordo
My name is Bethany Jarrell and I am excited to be running for NEA New Mexico Vice President. I have taught in Alamogordo for 15 years, and I am proud NEA member! I believe in supporting all educators so we all feel Security, Support, and Success.
Ashley Ramirez, Carlsbad
My name is Ashley Ramirez and I’m asking to represent you as your NEA- NM Vice-President. We must use the strength of every member to move our educational agenda forward. This is a union of strength and will only remain that way when we stick together and support one another.
Trish Ruiz, Hobbs
I’m Trish Ruiz, your Public Education Commissioner and proud NEA member! My experience as Hobbs NEA president, Region Chair, Ed PAC, BoD, and national HCR Social Justice trainer provides the impetus for seeking the office as your next NEA NM Vice President! Vote for Trish; Vote for YOU!!!
REGION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Northeast/North Central Region Member of the NEA-New Mexico Board of Directors, three-year term beginning July 15, 2019.
Kate MacDermott, Santa Fe: While attending RAs I have witnessed our state delegates do great work for our state’s public educators and for our country’s public educators as well, and I have said to myself I want to do that. I will work hard and dedicate my service to help and empower all public educators.
Grace Mayer, Santa Fe
David G. Martinez, Jr., West Las Vegas
Southeast Region Member of the NEA-New Mexico Board of Directors, Election District 1, three-year term beginning July 15, 2019
Trish Ruiz, Hobbs
Bess Rusk, Carlsbad: I am Bess Rusk and I am hoping to represent the Southeast region. I have been a NEA member both as a student and certified. I am in my 12th year of teaching (public and college level.) I am licensed as a Level 2 teacher and a Level 3-B administrator.
Southwest Region Member of the NEA-New Mexico Board of Directors- Election District representing Las Cruces-CSEC and NEA-Las Cruces, three-year term beginning July 15, 2019
Sylvia L. Garcia, Las Cruces: I am a long-time union member for NEA. I stand strong for truth, justice, transparency, and honor, bringing forth the wishes of our union.
Tiffanie Velarde, Las Cruces: This leadership position affords me the opportunity to apply and increase my knowledge of NM education and keep my local NEA chapter members up to date, informed, and empowered.
REGION MEMBER OF THE NEA-NM EDPAC
Southwest Region Member of Member of the Education Political Action Committee-Election District representing Las Cruces-CSEC and NEA-Las Cruces, three-year term beginning July 15, 2019
Kerrin Wilson, Las Cruces: I have been a Social Worker for 32 years and 22 of those years have been in the Special Student Services Department with LCPS. I am a strong advocate for worker’s rights and have been involved in politics for many years. I would be honored to participate with the PAC.
Thomas (Tommy) Esparza, Las Cruces: Hello Champions for Children and Public Education! My name is Tommy Esparza and I am asking for your support as SW Region EdPAC representative. Gracias!
NEA REPRESENTATIVE ASSEMBLY DELEGATES
State Delegate to the 2019 NEA Representative Assembly
- Trish Ruiz, Hobbs
- Lucille Martinez-Holguin, Espanola: Thank you for your past vote! I ask you to vote for me, as a Local Leader, Region officer and state committee member. I am able to use information I get at the NEA-RA during these meetings.
- Michael Campbell, West Las Vegas
- Cindy Sandoval, Las Vegas City
- David G. Martinez, Jr., West Las Vegas
- Beverly Whygles, Las Cruces
- Tammie Yazzie, Central Consolidated
- Bethany Jarrell, Alamogordo
- Tiffanie Velarde, Las Cruces
- Sylvia L. Garcia, Las Cruces: I am a long-time union member for NEA. I stand strong for truth, justice, transparency, and honor, bringing forth the wishes of our union.
- Kate MacDermott, Santa Fe: I attended the RA for 3 years and doing the work of our union is the most important work I do for public education.
- Bess Rusk, Carlsbad
- Cherlynn Lee, Central Consolidated
- Yvette Martinez, Santa Fe: I’ve attended the RA the past 2 years and am committed to representing educators all over our state. I’ve been teaching secondary science for over 20 years. Thanks for your vote!
- LaVerne B. Yazzie, Central Consolidated
- Lisa Felix, Farmington
- Nicole Baker, Farmington
- Tamara Gabrel, Farmington: Having served as an alternate to RA in Minneapolis, MN, last summer, I found it to be an amazing experience. Thank you for the opportunity!
- Tiffany Keaton, Farmington
- Jeremy B. Padilla, Las Cruces
- Jim Horvath, Farmington
- Jen Lunsford, Farmington
- Tena Joslin, Farmington
- Charity Cheung, Deming
- Karen Bonanno, Los Lunas
- Yazmin Izquierdo, Lovington
- Melissa Nakai, Central Consolidated
- Teresa Salazar, Roswell
State Category Two Delegate to the 2019 NEA Representative Assembly (all category two members-NEA members who are active supervisors, NEA Life members, NEA retired-staff Life members)
No Nominations received—write-ins will be accepted.
Cluster Delegate to the 2019 NEA Representative Assembly (all active nonsupervisory members in locals of 75 or fewer members are eligible)*
- Robert Beck, Loving
- Diana Jackson, Silver Consolidated
- Katrina Bustillos, Silver Consolidated
- Jacqueline Grijalva, Cobre
Student Delegate to the 2019 NEA Representative Assembly (only student members eligible to nominate and be nominated)
No Nominations Received—write-ins will be accepted in March 2019.
RETIRED MEMBER NOMINATIONS
Member of the NEA-New Mexico Board of Directors, representing Retired Members, one-year term beginning July 15, 2019. Two positions to be elected. Only one (1) candidate declared by 11/2/2018 and is eligible for write-in votes.
Henry M. Gonzales, Rio Rancho
Rosalinda Carreon-Altamirano, Dona Ana
Eduardo Holguin, Rio Rancho: I want to continue representing you, our Retired members, on the NEA-NM Board. Please vote for me, Eduardo Holguin, for one more one-year term on the NEA-NM Board.
Retired Delegate to the 2019 NEA Representative Assembly*
- Eduardo Holguin, Rio Rancho: Please allow me to represent our Retired members at the 2019 Representative Assembly by voting for me, Eduardo Holguin, as one of your Retired delegates.
- Carol Teweleit, Alamogordo: As your NEA-NM Retired vice president, I would like to represent you at the Representative Assembly. I promise to represent you well. Thank you for your consideration.
- Rosalinda Carreon-Altamirano, Dona Ana: I’m asking for your vote to represent you at the RA 2019. I’ve been an active member of NEA-NM serving at the local, region, state and national levels and continue to do so as a Retired Member. I’m committed in continuing to advocate on behalf of members, the integrity of public education, and the rights of our educators, students and school employees. Gracias!
- Mary Lou Cameron, Deming: It would be an honor to represent the Retired members at the 2019 RA. By attending, I will participate in the NEA Retired Annual Conference before the RA begins. I will listen and vote for the issues advancing members of all categories. Thank you for your consideration.
- Eloy Gonzales, Albuquerque
DECLARED ELECTED CANDIDATES
In accordance with Standing Rule 9, since only one candidate declared for these positions, these candidates were declared on November 2, 2018. The standing rule states, “If the number of candidates nominated, including write-in candidates who have declared their write-in candidacy in accordance with timelines and procedures established by the Elections Committee equals the number of positions to be filled, the Board of Directors shall declare such candidates elected.”
REGION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Southeast Region Member of the NEA-New Mexico Board of Directors Election District 2, three-year term beginning July 15, 2019.
Denise Dawson, Roswell
Southwest Region Member of the NEA-New Mexico Board of Directors Election District representing all Southwest Region locals except Las Cruces-CSEC and NEA-Las Cruces, three-year term beginning July 15, 2019.
Bethany Jarrell, Alamogordo